Gotta keep moving…
Gotta keep dreaming.
As the sun scorches us all (and it’s only the first week of May) and 1/2 the year’s gone by quicker than a blink of the eye…it’s easy for the mid year depression to set in! We haven’t reached all the targets that seemed so easy in January and we’re exhausted. The days are longer, but patience shorter. The day’s are sunnier; but people’s attitudes are gloomier. The days are hot and so is everybody’s temperament! The newspapers are the bearers of doom and it’s easy to get sucked in to the mid year slump!
But instead of morning the loss of the last 5 months; let’s make the next seven …amazing! So here’s my technique to
“Get up and Make the Most of the Day (esp the Monday!)
- Start the day with some exercise…get an early head start and get some much needed endorphins!
- Treat yourself…a cold glass of juice, a smoothie, cold coffee, mango… start the day with something you love!
- Get to work and instead of tackling everything head on…. get your bearings… sit…relax… and then LIST OUT WHAT MUST BE DONE.
- 90 minutes in to starting your day, take a 10 minute break to drink some coffee, read an article, browse the net… just STOP!
- Eat lunch on time. Everything may not be completed by lunch but other people need lunch too- so take a lunch break!!!
- After you’ve taken your hour off you should be ready to take the afternoon by storm… Work thru the afternoon systematically stopping only once at about 3:30 for coffee/ tea and biscuits – again a 10 minute break.
- End your day on time. If you have a 9-5 job ; end it on time esp on a Monday else the Monday exhaustion taints the entire week ahead! Choose your ‘must work late’ days…and try and avoid 2 days one after the other because that will affect your work on Day 3.
- Get home and unwind. Do what makes you happy. Eat early and then spend the evening relaxing, pursuing a hobby or just hanging out with friends! You did a good day. Yay!
Flexi work hours… for me that;s the newest, coolest trend. Work when you have to and finish your job…it’s not about a 9 to 5 anymore it’s an 11-7 or a 9-4 or even a 10am- 1 pm… Companies are starting to realise -it’s not about the time you spend in the office ; it’s about your productivity and if you are more productive at home or in a shorter period of time or in spurts …well then GOOD FOR YOU!
This I think is incredible…I’ve wandered into so many offices , advertising firms, banks, magazine offices where everyone is either gossiping or on facebook….Sure they’ve logged in hours… but are they really being productive? It’s like when you had to attend a lecture in college and you dozed off…. except that’s what they do for the entire work day. Sure there are the one or two Worker bees who are doing all the work and everyone’s work… but they then get exhausted and their productivity can’t be at a high for 12,15 ,19 hours!
Many companies now make the employees set targets on a monday…a big target that must be achieved by week end and smaller targets which must be achieved daily. How you do it is up to you? If you can do it in 5 hours and go home… well then that’s wonderful…If it takes you till 9 pm at night (because of all the Facebook surfing) well then that’s your prerogative too! The targets are approved by the person they report too so it’s not too easy (you can’t just make one call and go home) and they are actual targets. And then you reconvene on Friday to take stock of all that is achieved.
Flexi work hours can be the best things to happen to a company. And it makes you take responsibility and ownership for your work.It kind of makes you , your own boss and trust me…your the toughest boss you’ll ever get !
And now on to making this week amazing…! See you next week
P.s.-: We had a show last week at the NCPA….With the heat playing havoc with my Multiple Sclerosis and me having small but difficult attacks… it was a tough show to run with 30 odd people on stage BUT they were AMAZING and I WAS SO PROUD!
To My Imps… you teach me
I’ve gotta keep moving,
Gotta keep dreaming …. every day!
Seeing you on stage , made yet another dream come true!
Wow! There’s so much you teach us not only by shouting at us(which is usual:p) but also by just believing in us. You’re awesome 😀
I shout at you because you can be better… When i shout at you once…I yell at myself 10 times in my head after that !
…yes I am a bit psycho!
I cut down my office working hours as I realised many works are repetitive and unproductive, it can be delegated or aborted… gotta keep moving 🙂
Love IMPS programs because it helps one to evolve, build confidence to handle any impromptu situations on stage performances and therefore can be beneficial in life’s situations as well. So much gained in a few weeks! Felt the interactive shows demonstrated great freedom and relaxation value for the audience as well as the students and guess the task is far more challenging for the teacher than the students who are merly allowing to undergo this transformation from Chrysalis to butterflies.lol! IMPS is very powerful, dynamic, creative and so unbeatable! Rating (*******)
Thank you Prakash and as the head of a very respected Company I’m glad to see you too have moved with the time!
With imps as well, you have continued to keep your mind open and kept listening, learning and then creating scenes and situations based on what you have observed! Your writing style is also reflective of years of learning! And I am honored to know and work with you!